Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Technical: Some basic technology decisions

Ok, some basic technology decisions to start. 

Rule #1 - All software used must be FOSS. Or written by me.  No commercial software of any kind allowed.  This includes software for email, browsing, blogging, etc. too.

Rule #2 - Ubuntu based.  Rule #1 above precludes Mac OS or Windows.  There are many distros to choose from - I have selected Ubuntu because I feel it is rock solid, popular, and I am familiar with it.  That said, I don't imagine it will be hard to apply what is found in this blog to other distros or even Mac or Windows.

Rule #3 - Use the Cloud.  Take advantage of cloud resources from folks like Amazon and others to create a scalable system.

These are not arbitrary or "quick" rules.  There has been thought behind each of these.  Rule #1 is the basis for this blog, i.e. is it possible to make a movei using FOSS?  And what is the experience?  Rule #2 is a practical decision.  I must pick some FOSS operating system distro and Ubuntu is a reasonable decision.  Rule #3 is part technical and part economics.  I believe the cloud is the future of all computing needs that require scaling, both up and down.  The computing needs of movie making will vary greatly based on where you are in the pipeline, and also by the nature of the movie - effects movies will need more than a "traditional" movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment